Electronic System for Travel Authorization Guide

The U.S. is well-known for its strict rule regarding the people who come to their country. Therefore, they have many different visas for many different purposes you must use. However, in some case, you can even enter the U.S. area without using a visa. You can only do it if you use the ESTA or Electronic System for Travel Authorization.

What is the Electronic System for Travel Authorization?

ESTA system was first introduced in 2009 by the United States Department of Homeland Security. This system is proof that you are a citizen of countries that are included in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). There are 38 countries that join this program.

The good thing about ESTA is the process to enter the U.S. area is really fast. The application can be done in a matter of minutes. Then, you will have permission to enter the U.S. area for two years, before you need to renew your ESTA. If you want to know more about whether you are eligible to receive ESTA, you can use the ESTA Eligibility Checker on the internet.

The Requirements

Although ESTA seems easy to get and make everything easier during your visit in the U.S. you still need to fulfill several requirements in order to get it. There are basically four main requirements to get ESTA, which are:

  • You are a citizen of the country that is listed in the Visa Waiver Program,

  • You plan to stay in the U.S. for less than 90 days,

  • You don’t have a B-1 or B-2 visa. This visa usually issued for the U.S. visitor,

  • You visit the U.S. for business or tourism purpose.

Basically, all travelers from Visa Waiver Program country can get their ESTA. Thus, it will simplify the process to visit the U.S. But, there are also people that come and live in the Visa Waiver Program country that is ineligible to receive the ESTA.

The condition where you are ineligible for an ESTA, even though you are a citizen of Visa Waiver Program country is based on your answer to the two questions that will be asked when you apply for this program. Those two important question are “Have you been in Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Somalia, or Yemen since March 1, 2011?” and “Do you have dual nationality with Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria?”

If you answer both questions with a “Yes” answer, you will be ineligible to receive the ESTA. You can still apply for B-1 or B-2 visa for entering the U.S. However, if you are diplomat or military country from the questioned countries above, you will be exempted and allowed to have ESTA.

Those are what you need to know about the ESTA system and how it works. This system is a great invention that can help you to save more time and energy for finishing the documentation when you are entering the U.S. area. Now, you are ready to get your Electronic System for Travel Authorization.